30TH APRIL 2015 - PRADOSHAM VRAT
Pradosham 2015 Vrat: Worship Lord Shiva During Twilight!
Pradosh Vrat dates in 2015 are here. Lord Shiva known to be the demolisher of the universe, but in the real sense acts as a protector of the universe. Lord Shiva is worshiped on Pradosham and Pradosh Vrat is observed. MyKundali brings you the Pradosh Vrat dates in 2015.
The Pradosh Vrat is a fast which is observed in the name of Lord Shiva. Pradosham occurs twice in the lunar month of the Hindu Calendar . Pradosh Vrat is observed on the thirteenth (Trayodashi) day during the Sandhyakal of both Shukla Paksha (bright half) and Krishna Paksha (dark half). Pradosh Vrat in 2015 will again be observed by the devotees during this time.
Pradosh also known as Pradosham or Pradosha in India. Pradosham is believed to be one of the most significant days for praying to Lord Shiva. The Pradosh day is believed to be one of those days on which Lord Shiva along with the Goddess Parvati is extremely happy, delighted and generous. Before we go ahead and talk about the significance of Pradosh Vrat in 2015, let’s first know what does Pradosh mean and what does the Pradosh Vrat signify?
Meaning Of Pradosh Vrat
Pradosh means the dusk time. Pradosham is referred to the auspicious 3 hours period. This time of 3 hours is divided into two parts 1.5 hours before the sunset and 1.5 hours after the sunset.
Vrat or fast means abstinence or reduction of some food items and drinks. Hence, Pradosh Vrat means abstinence from normal food (wheat, salt) during the time of twilight. Let’s now talk about the types of Pradosh Vrat.
Types & Benefits Of Pradosh Vrat
The Pradosh Vrat is observed on the thirteenth day of the each lunar fortnight during the time of Krishna Paksha and Shukla Paksha.
Basically, Pradosh Vrat has its own benefits according to the days on which it occurs. The Pradosham in 2015 will again be known by these names. These Pradoshams as per the days are known as follows:
- Som Pradosh : When the Pradosh Vrat falls on a Monday, it is known as Som Pradosh. If the Pradosh Vrat falls on a Monday, all the desires of the Lord Shiva’s devotees are fulfilled and he/she becomes a positive thinker.
- Bhaum Pradosh : When the Pradosh Vrat falls on Tuesday, it is known as Bhaum Pradosh. The benefit of Bhaum Pradosh Vrat is that it gives relief from health problems and enhances the physical health. It also brings prosperity.
- Saumya Vaara Pradosha : When the Pradosh Vrat falls on a Wednesday, it is known as Saumya Vaara Pradosha . This day of Pradosh Vrat benefits a person with education, knowledge, fulfillment of wishes and progeny.
- Guruvaara Pradosha : When the Pradosh Vrat falls on a Thursday, it is known as Guru Vaara Pradosha. On this day, the divine blessings are received from the ancestors or Pitru. All the dangers which are existing gets eliminated by observing this fast on this day.
- Bhrigu Vaara Pradosha : When the Pradosh Vrat falls on a Friday, it is known as Bhrigu Vaara Pradosha. This Pradosh Vrat benefits in removing all the negativity and opposition resulting in success and happiness.
- Shani Pradosh : When the Pradosh Vrat falls on a Saturday, it is known as Shani Pradosh. The benefit of Shani Pradosh Vrat is it brings promotion,and the lost wealth is received if the Shani Pradosh Vrat is observed.
- Bhaanu Vaara Pradosha : When the Pradosh Vrat falls on a Sunday, it is known as Bhaanu Vaara Pradosha. If Pradosh Vrat falls on this day and observed by the devotees, it results in attaining peace and longevity.
These are the different types of Pradoshams as per the days. They are either observed in the Krishna Paksha or in the Shukla Paksha as per the Hindu calendar. Let’s find out the dates of Pradosham in 2015.
Pradosh Vrat Dates In 2015
As per the Hindu calendar, in every lunar month there are two Pradoshams. Let’s see the dates of Pradosh Vrat in 2015.
Now, you know the dates of Pradosh Vrat. Let’s find out the significance of Pradosh Vrat before you observe a fast on the Pradosham in 2015.
Significance Of Pradosh Vrat
As per the Shiva Purana, Pradosh Vrat is considered to be the most beneficial fast in order to attain health, wealth, and children. The Pradosh Vrat liberates the devotees from all the past and present sins. By observing Pradosham with full devotion and dedication, all the demands are fulfilled by Lord Shiva and Maa Parvati. Hence, those devotees who want to get rid of all the past sins and receive the blessings of Lord Shiva observe the Pradosh Vrat in 2015. Let’s first know what is the real story behind observing the Pradosh Vrat?
Legend Behind Pradosham
Pradosh Vrat is a fast observed in the name of Lord Shiva or Neelkanth. Neelkanth is the name given to Lord Shiva post the event of Samudra Manthan (ocean of milk). He saved the universe by holding the lethal venom in his throat, which turned his neck blue.
It was during the time of Samudra Manthan (ocean of milk) when everything submerged under water. Vasuki (the King of Nagas) who served as a churning rope and mount Mandarachala acted as the churning rod. Many things came out of the ocean, among which, Halahal (the lethal poison) was one. This venom could have resulted in the end of the universe. Hence, all the Devas and Ausras who were trying to churn the ocean pleaded Lord Shiva to save the universe. Halahal, before causing any harm, was consumed by Lord Shiva on the twelfth Moon day. On knowing about the poison, Goddess Parvati stopped it from entering Lord Shiva’s body by pressing his neck, which turned the color of the neck to blue. Since then, Lord Shiva is known as Neelkanth.
Post that event, Devas and Asuras got the Amrit along with new life to the universe. They all in the happiness and festivity forgot to thank Lord Shiva. But on the thirteenth day (Trayodashi), they realized their mistake and asked for mercy. Lord Shiva forgave them and celebrations continued. It is believed that that time was Pradosham. Since then, that time is known as Pradosham. Hence, whoever prays to Shiva in this time, Lord Shiva fulfills his/her wishes and one attains salvation.
Another myth associated to Pradosham Vrat is that of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati. It is believed that on the day of Trayodashi (the thirteenth day), during the time of dusk, the couple is in a very happy and favorable mood. Hence, if you offer your prayers with full devotion and sincerity, all your wishes come true.
So, on the day of Pradosham in 2015, remember Lord Shiva with full devotion so that he blesses you with everything.
Now when you know the legends associated with Pradosh Vrat, let’s find out the rituals involved in performing Pradosh Vrat in 2015.
Rituals Of Pradosh Vrat In 20 15
Since Pradosh Vrat is the time to worship Lord Shiva, but there are certain rituals involved in observing the Pradosham Vrat.
There are two ways for observing the Pradosh Vrat:
- During the Pradosham Vrat, people can observe a 24 hour fasting. In this kind of fasting people usually do not sleep at night.
- On Pradosham fast, people observe Vrat from sunrise to sunset. Post that, one can perform Lord Shiva’s Puja and can end the Pradosham Vrat
- People can visit Lord Shiva temples and perform Pradosh Vrat Puja during Pradosh Vrat.
- During the Pradosh fast, one needs to take bath before the sunset.
- A preliminary Puja should be performed with all the deities and Lord Ganesha firstly.
- Lord Shiva is invoked in a Kalash (pot) placed over a square Mandal with lotus drawn on the Kalash and Durva (panicum) grass spread across.
- After this ritual, a Pradosh Vrat Story is read and heard by the devotees of Lord Shiva.
- The Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra (special Mantra to overcome the fear of death) is to be chanted 108 times.
- The Kalash water is partaken and the sacred ash is applied on the forehead.
- During the Pradosh fast, you can donate pot, cloth, and image of Lord Shiva to the Brahmin in the temple.